Friday, April 5, 2013

First-Ever Burlington, Vermont Kidical Mass Ride- Saturday, April 6 at 9:00 AM on the Burlington Bike Path Behind One main

Kidical Mass looms large in my brain.

Tomorrow, in the early morning, I'll pack my 2.5 year old son and his balance bike in our Burley, hitch it to one of my bikes, and we'll ride on over from Burlington the South to Burlington proper, to the railroad shelter behind One Main on the bike path.

We'll be there by nine in the morning. Local Motion will probably show up to help us do a little helmet decorating.

By 9:30 or so, we'll start riding along the path to the playground at North Beach, where we will play and hang out for a while, then ride back to Maglianero, where we will have a cup of coffee.

Those are the only things I am sure will happen. What I don't know is if anybody else will show up to ride with us. It's that lump-in-the-throat, top-of-the-roller coaster feeling. It's the same familiar feeling I got when I showed up for the first VTIndoor ride, and the same feeling I had when started trying to get roller racing going again, and the same feeling I had when I hit the "Go" button on our indiegogo fundrasing campaign

It's like this when you start to pursue something you're passionate about. You bought the ticket, you strapped in for the ride, and you set things in motion- then there's the moment before that first drop on the roller coaster when you're not quite sure how it's all going to work out. In roller coasters as in bicycle riding, it usually works out pretty well in the end. At the worst, I'll have gone for a bike ride in Burlington with my son. Anything else is just gravy.

See you there.